John Machuga takes over the UBC Okanagan cross country program in the late summer of 2017 and will be the third coach since 2011 – when Cross Country at UBC Okanagan started competing as a team in national and provincial competitions.
Machuga has been coaching for two decades with the last seven years building the up the Okanagan running scene – with a focus on the high school track and cross country programs in the North Okanagan.
Already in his 20-year coaching career Machuga has coached provincial champions in the U16, U18, U20, Open, and Masters categories. He has also have coach provincial champions in the Sprints, Hurdles, Middle distance, Long Distance and cross country.
He has also coached athletes to provincial records, and National champions. Internationally, Machuga’s best result with an athlete ion the world stage is 6th at the U18 world championships.
- NCCP Sport Coach track and field trained
- NCCP road running trained
- NCCP Club Coach endurance track and field trained
- NCCP Performance Coach endurance in training
Prior to UBC Okanagan
Vernon Amateur Athletic Association 2011 to present - Endurance Coach
- Planned out individual yearly programs for up to 25 athletes per year. Built the program up from 4 athletes to over 40 athletes currently. Created a multi school high school cross country program. Co-created a multi school high school track and field program.
Okanagan Running Club 2012 to present - Founder/President/Head Coach
- Founded the club in 2012 and built the club to help market, recruit, and advise new coaches and purchase equipment for the benefit of running in the Okanagan.
Kelowna Christian School 2014 to present - Track and Field and Cross Country Coach
- Built the program up from 3 athletes to over 25. Spearheaded a multi-school co-operative practice schedule. Grade 8 Girls Valley Track and Field champions 2016.
WL Seaton 2015 to present - Cross Country and Track and Field Head Coach
- Built the program up from 8 athletes to 15 athletes. Senior Boys zone Cross Country champions 2015. Junior Boys zone Cross Country champions 2016.
Tri Monsters 2016 to present - Running Coach
- Created basic learn to run program for new runners
Okanagan Allcomer Track Series 2016 to present - Meet Director
- Recruited organizing committee members. Organized an official’s course to build up number of officials in Vernon. Held multiple officially sanctioned track meets in the City of Vernon.
Athlete performance highlights 2015/16
- Worlds - 1 top 10 placing
- Nationals - 5 medals, 7 top 10 placings
- Provincials - 14 medals, 24 top 10 placings