What you need to know
GAME TIMES (PST)
All matches to be played at 'The Jack' Simpson Gymnasium, Calgary AB
- Having won five straight matches, the Heat are in prime form with a good chance to roll into the new year atop the Canada West standings.
- The last time the Heat women lost was on November 3, in a tight five-set match that they dropped to the Mount Royal Cougars.
Players to Watch:
- Sara McCreary has continued her exceptional run as the Heat setter, passing the 400 assist mark last weekend against Regina, and she has 401 of UBCO's total 457 assists this season. Sara's 401 sets put her second in Canada West, and her average of 10.55 assists per set is a conference best.
- Ann Richards leads the Heat in kills, with 111 so far, and has a team-high average of 2.92 kills per set. Her hitting percentage is .285, fourth-best in the conference.
Overall Head to Head vs. Calgary (9-3)
- 0-2 in 11/12; 2-0 in 12/13; 2-0 in 13/14; 2-0 in 14/15; 2-0 in 15/16; 1-1 in 16/17
- The Heat have played well against the Dinos over the past six seasons, taking the majority of the matches between the two.
- Last season in the Canada West quarter-finals in Calgary UBCO put away Calgary in three matched completing a monumetal comeback to advance to a fourth staright CW Final Four.
- The Heat and Dinos split their weekend series last season, with Calgary beating UBCO for the first time since the 2011/12 season.
Scouting the Dinos
Top of the Conference:
- The Dinos currently sit in a three-team tie for first place in Canada West, with the UBC Okanagan Heat and the UBC Thunderbirds, all with eight wins and two losses.
- At the moment, the Dinos are riding a winning streak of their own, having won their last four matches. They earned weekend sweeps against Saskatchewan and Winnipeg, after being handed the first two losses of their season by the UBC Thunderbirds on November 3 & 4.
- The Dinos are also ranked in the U Sports Top 10, currently at #5, up one spot from last week's rankings.
- Laura McManes is the Dinos' leading hitter so far, with a total of 101 kills. Her hitting percentage stands at .193, and she is averaging 2.59 per set.
- Jaylynn Moffat's hitting percentage of .325 puts her third in that category in Canada West at the moment, and her 1.19 blocks per set have her fifth there. Her teammate Beth Vinnell sits two spots above her in the conference, with a team-high 1.44 blocks per set.
Autumn Davidson / OH / 3rd / Surrey, B.C. / Douglas College)