What you need to know
- In their first road action of the 2018 season, the Heat women's soccer team will travel to Alberta to face-off against the Alberta Pandas and Mount Royal Cougars.
- The Heat captured four points during their home-opening weekend including a 1-0 win against MacEwan on Sunday.
- Mount Royal will host UBCO on Saturday with a record of one win and one loss. The Pandas will host the Heat on Sunday after hosting TRU on Saturday, before the weekend the are undefeated with a (2-0-0) record.
GAME TIMES (PST)
SATURDAY, SEP 15th
SUNDAY, SEP 16th
Impressive opening weekend:
- It was an outstanding opening weekend on home turf for the Heat as they fought to a 2-2 draw on Saturday against the UNBC Timberwolves and followed that up with a 1-0 win against MacEwan. It was Kylee Walker on Sunday that would notch the game winner off a pass from Jasmine Cooper to give the Heat the win.
Players to watch:
- Defender Lindsey Berthelsen continues to be a key player for the Heat as the team captain scored her first career goal for the program in Saturday's draw against the T-Wolves.
- Third year midfielder Maya Bandy and second year Erica Lampert continue to solidify the pitch for the Heat as the two midfielders form one of the better junior/sophomore tandems in the conference.
First years making their mark:
- Freshman goalkeeper Iona Lawson would step in between the pipes on Sunday and impressed with her play, the Calgary product picked up her first career Canada West clean sheet thanks to her six saves performance.
- The other first year goalkeeper would get the start in Saturday's match as Emma Terrillon of North Vancouver started the home-opener allowing two goals on seven shots.
- Other first year players who saw the field during the opening weekend was defender Lauryn Padmoroff along with Jessica Ambrosio, Aurora Gardiner, Maya Lewis, Leah Favaro and Allison Candelario
Scouting Mount Royal
- The Cougars opened up their 2018 season last Saturday with a 1-0 win in Lethbridge against the Pronghorns thanks to a late second half goal from Robyn MacDonald. The following day they travelled to Calgary to face-off against the Dinos and would come out on the losing end by a score of 1-0.
Last years finish:
- Mount Royal would finish last season with a (4-6-4) record and earn the fifth spot in the Prairie Division of the Canada West. Their season was ended in the first round of the playoffs following a penalty shootout loss to the MacEwan Griffins. The Cougars lost five players from the last season's playoff team.
- Third year netminder Cailyn Leeson is coming off one of the best games ever by a student athlete in net in a Canada West contest, as she made an astonishing 12 saves in the team's shutout win against the Lethbridge Pronghorns to open the season. The goalkeeper has started 20 games over the past two season for the 'Horns with nine clean sheets in those appearances.
Opening weekend form:
- The Pandas opened up their 2018 campaign with back-to-back victories against the Calgary Dinos and Lethbridge Pronghorns on the road. A 2-1 win on Saturday against the Dinos was followed up with a convincing 3-0 victory in Lethbridge to cap off an impressive opening weekend performance.
Players to watch:
- Midfielders Morgan Corbett and Brenna Mattiello are off the hot starts so far this season, both players have scored in each of the two matches last weekend. The two midfielders also bring a boat load of experience to the Pandas as they are each in their fourth season with the program.
- McKenna Parks / Forward / 1 / Edmonton, AB / Edmonton Scottish
- Mckayla Brault / Midfield / 1 / Sherwood Park, AB / Sherwood Park Phoenix
- Ashton Engler / Goalkeeper / 1 / Edmonton, AB / Edmonton Raiders
- Emma Berrett / Midfield / 1 / Edmonton, AB / Edmonton Green and Gold