The Heat golf teams' teed up their new-look BC only competition this past weekend as the BC Rivalry Series opened play this weekend in Kelowna.
The Heat women placed second and the men third both days. Individually, Sunday was the best day for UBCO at the tournament on the Bear Course of the Okanagan Golf Club. Kayleigh Trowman finished with the low score for the women while Justin Towill tied atop the leaderboard on Day-2.
Women's golf highlights
- The Heat women finished second on both days as the team leaderboard did not change either day, with UBC on top and UFV in third.
- On Saturday, the Thunderbirds posted a team score of 224, with UBC's Sonja Tang posting the low individual score of the day at 74. The Heat rolled in 12-strokes back at (236) and the Cascades shot (242).
- The Heat was the only team to improve on Sunday, but UBC would still prevail with a score of 225, ahead of UBCO (233) and UFV (250).
- Kayleigh Trowman won her first-ever event as a member of the Heat. She shot a (73) for the individual win on Sunday. Her hot streak, with 3-birdies, from holes 5 – 8 carried the Arts student to victory.
- Kendra Jones-Monk, the first-year golfer from Vernon, finished 11th both days, firing an (82) then an (83). The front nine was better for her, she birdied hole 7 on Saturday and hole 6 on the Sunday.
- Samantha Copeland, now in her third year, was consistent all weekend. She finished tied for 7th, shooting (80) both days.
- The Heat's other third-year golfer, Rebecca Reitsma, finished with the same scores as Copeland, firing an (80) both days. She also birdied the par-5 hole-7 both days.
- The OOM points for the Heat women are Trowman (175), Copeland (87.5), Reitsma (87.5), Jones-Monk (60).