BC Rivalry Series
The recent announcement that the UBC Okanagan hosted Canada West golf championships would be cancelled due to COVID-19 travel restrictions that eliminated the ability of out-of-province sports teams to travel to B.C. have brought together some of the BC based golf schools to improvise a competition schedule.
The Heat have collaborated with the UBC Thunderbirds and the UFV Cascades to create the BC Rivalry Series. The series will consist of eight single-day tournaments during the fall semester, with the hope of scheduling an additional 12 events in the spring of 2021. The series will require all players and coaches to abide by BC health protocols.
BC Rivalry Series
- Each 18-hole day is its own event.
- The series will have a team component and also an individual player component, named "Order of Merit" (OOM).
- On the team side, the max points available will reflect the number of teams at that specific day of competition.
- This week at the UBCO event (18 holes per day) for both men and women there were three men's and three women's teams. Therefore, 3 points for the winner, 2 points for the second-place team and 1 point for third place team, each day.
- If there is a tie the points are split – no playoff.
- The women's teams will play 4 count 3 scores per day and the men's team will play the 5 count 4 format.
- At the end of the season, the average of the total number of points each team has earned to declare a team champion.
- Teams will not be at all events, therefore a team and OOM player must have played 75% of the total number of matches to be eligible for the championship.
Order of Merit (OOM) scoring
- Any player who plays an event will get "10 points" automatically (participation).
- The winner will receive an additional 100 points.
- The rest of the scoring breaks down like this: (2nd – 80 pts, 3rd – 70 pts, 4th – 60 pts, 5th – 50 pts, 6th – 45 pts, 7th – 40 pts, 8th – 35 pts, 9th – 30 pts, 10th – 25 pts, 11th – 20pts, 12th – 18pts, 13th – 16 pts, 14th - 14pts, 15th – 12 pts, 16th – 10pts, 17th – 8pts, 18th – 6pts, 19th – 4pts, 20th – 2pts)
- To be eligible for the OOM, the player must have played 75% of the total number of matches to be eligible for the championship.