Your first chance to see coach Bobby Mitchell's new look Heat women's basketball team at home will be November 8.
The 20-game Canada West basketball season opens on the road for UBCO at the University of Manitoba on November 1, as the conference announced the basketball schedules on Tuesday.
A balanced schedule for the Heat has the Kelowna school on home court six times in the first half of the season and four times in 2020.
The home opener, on November 8, against Thompson Rivers is a special matinee game with a 10:30 a.m. start time, giving local schools the chance to catch the Heat in action.
Along with the matinee game, UBCO will try and be more family friendly this season with their home games and have moved their Saturday tip-off time an hour earlier than in previous years. Saturday games start at 4 p.m. while Friday's maintain their traditional 6 p.m. tip-off.
For fans looking to watch every conference game, 2019-20 Canada West TV passes are now on sale, with the best early-bird pricing available until the end of June. An all-access pass ($79.99), or a volleyball sport pass ($31.99), can be purchased by clicking here.
A new look to the basketball conference playoff format will take effect this spring. The top-12 teams will once again qualify for the CW postseason. The No. 5 through 12 seeds play single-elimination games in that first week, while the top four seeds earn a bye.
The change to the playoffs will be in the quarterfinals and semis, this year both rounds will now be single-elimination games, being played the same weekend. The winners will eventually meet the following weekend in the Canada West Championship game on February 29.
The U SPORTS national championship will be hosted by the Ottawa/Carleton and will run from March 5-8 will both genders competing for a national title.
Important Dates and Notes:
- November 1 – CW season opens for the league. Heat take on the Manitoba Bisons for the first time at U of M since 2012.
- November 8 - Home opener versus TRU with a special matinee time of 10:30.
- November 8-9 - Presidents Cup rivalry vs. TRU - in Kelowna.
- November 22-23 - Host sister-school rival UBC.
- November 30 - Final home match of first half of season against Calgary.
- January 3 - Open 2020 on the road in Victoria.
- January 25 – Senior players night at the final Heat home game vs. Winnipeg.
- All road games will be against 2018-19 playoff teams.
- 18 of 20 games will be against 2018-19 playoff teams.