What you need to know
- The Heat women's basketball are returning to Kelowna to start off their home conference slate against the Brandon Bobcats on Friday and Saturday night.
- Both the Heat and Bobcats are both winless (0-2) in the early season just a weekend into play
- The Heat are searching for a Canada West home opener win, a feat they haven't pulled off since 2015.
GAME TIMES (PT)
FRIDAY, NOV 2nd
SATURDAY, NOV 3rd
Opening weekend recap:
- The women fell in both of their games on road against the Trinity Western Spartans on Friday by a score of 62-81, and on Saturday, 57-79.
- In both games, the Heat would start off strong in the first quarter with hot shooting, but they could not maintain the same momentum in second and third quarter as the Spartans extended the score gaps.
Players to watch:
- Senior forward Jordan Korol will has been an effective scorer and rebounder for the Heat so far this year as she scored a team high of 16 points along with 10 rebounds in Friday's game.
- Second Year nursing student Brianna Falk will be a crucial player coming off the bench to help UBCO on both ends of the floor. Last weekend she scored 13 points along with five rebounds in Saturday's loss to Trinity Western.
Head to Head with the Bobcats: (2-3)
- The home team has won each time these teams have met.
- The last time these two teams met was at November 12th, 2016, with the Heat loss on the Bobcat's home court by a final score of 66-60. They day before UBCO lost a heartbreaker in overtime.
- Former guard Claire Elliott would score the team high 19 points along with four rebounds, and four steals, and three assists in the game. B
Last season's finish:
- It was a rough season as the Bobcats would finish the conference season with a 3-17 record.
- The Bobcats would average 69.8 points along with 41 rebounds per game. On the other hand, the Heat, last year, would average 53.2 points along with 32.4 rebounds.
- The Bobcats have not made back to the playoff since the 2016-17 season when they went 9-14. They lost to Trinity Western in a best-of-three series in the first round.
Opening weekend recap:
- Same as the Heat women, the Bobcats would lose both of their games in the opening of conference play. They lost to the Manitoba Bisons on Friday by a final score 97-84, and on Saturday, 86-61.
- On Saturday, they would out-play the Bisons with strong offense by scoring 27 points, while the Bisons would score 14. However, in the fourth quarter, the Bisons would have a strong comeback with 30 points, while the Bobcats would only score seven points.
- Senior Forward Lauren Anderson will be one of the top scoring options for the Bobcats as she would score 26 points along with 12 rebounds on Friday, and 17 points on Saturday of last weekend.
- Third year guard Adrianna Proulx is another effective scorer for the Bobcats. She would score 25 points in the Friday loss with a 58% shooting percentage (11 of 19) from the field.