What you need to know
- After a tough opening half to their conference season, the Heat men's volleyball team will return to action this weekend when they host the Calgary Dinos in 'the Furnace'.
- Still looking for the first Canada West win of the year, the Heat are coming off a successful Christmas trip to the University of Waterloo where they defeated Winnipeg in their final game of the tournament.
- Calgary comes in with a 3-7 record and they have won just a single game away from the Jack Simpson Gymnasium.
- Saturday night's game will also culminate the "Bring the Heat" Clothing Drive that partners UBC Okanagan Athletics with Inn from the Cold - Kelowna.
GAME TIMES (PT)
FRIDAY, JAN 4th
SATURDAY, JAN 5th
Opening semester synopsis:
- It was one of the toughest schedules in conference history for the Heat in their opening 12 games prior to Christmas as they had six games against teams in the top five of the U SPORTS rankings, including facing the top two teams in Trinity Western and Brandon.
- Arguably the team's best stretch of the season came in the second and third weekend, as they forced the No.1 ranked TWU Spartans to five sets and then travelled to Winnipeg to fight tooth and nail in a five-setter against the Wesmen.
Taking their talents out east:
- Over the Christmas break, head coach Brad Hudson took his team to the University of Waterloo to face three quality opponents in the Waterloo Warriors, the Montreal Carabins and the Winnipeg Wesmen.
- After dropping a tight first match to the host Warriors, the Heat would drop the second game against Montreal in four.
- It was an all Canada West matchup during the final day as UBCO took on Winnipeg and were able to capture the victory thanks to a 15-11 fifth set win.
Players to watch:
- Both Brennan Goski and Max Heppell have been the leaders on the offensive end for the program as they have both racked up over 100 kills during the first semester.
- Goski came on strong late during the last weekend of conference play prior to the break, recording 27 kills and 15 digs in two matches with Saskatchewan.
Bringing the Heat:
- To start the New Year the Heat will combine with a deserving community partner and work to 'Heat' the plight of the needs of people experiencing homelessness in the community by sponsoring a clothing drive with Inn from the Cold, a Kelowna non-profit organization.
- For full details on the clothing drive and to find out more about Inn from the Cold, click here.
Head to head with the Dinos: (3-11)
- Calgary captured both games last season against the Heat, with the last UBCO win in this matchup coming back in late November of 2016 in five sets.
First half recap:
- The Dinos finished their opening half of the conference season with a 3-7 record, with just one of those wins coming away from home.
- Seven of the team's ten matches have finished in three sets, with two going the full five sets and just one ending in four.
- After starting 2-2 they have picked up just one conference win since the second week of November, with that coming Nov.24th at home against Manitoba.
Player to watch:
- Senior Tim Taylor has nearly double the kills of any other Calgary player, with 124 in the opening 10 games of the season. The outside hitter has two 20+ kill performances this year, along with 17 kills in a three-set match. A product of Sydney, Australia, Taylor also has 44 digs and 15 blocks for Calgary.