What you need to know
GAME TIMES (PST)
Both Canada West conference matches matches to be played at the Nonis Field at UBC Okanagan.
A quick look at the Heat
The Heat are an extremely young group having only five players in their fourth or fifth year of eligibility and over 10 newcomers.
First Soccer All-Star
Reigning UBC Okanagan Male Athlete of the Year Mitch McCaw, a CW All-Star keeper last season – a first for UBC Okanagan soccer in Canada West, will look to once again lead the Heat's stingy defense with the help of veteran defenders Shaun Pilcher and Hamish Walde.
Head coach Dante Zanatta is beginning his seventh year at the helm of the men's soccer team at UBCO. In the three years the team has competed in Canada West Zanatta has led the squad to the post season.
Preseason for the Heat
UBCO has won both of their two preseason games against Langara and Douglas by scores of 1-0, and 2-0 at home in Kelowna. They also scrimmaged several times on the road against Vancouver Island, Quest and two schools south of the border.
Scouting the Thunderbirds
- UBC are coming off after back to back wins in the opening series of games at home to UFV and Trinity Western. Each ended in one to nothing victories for the T-birds.
- UBC are the reigning conference silver medalists and finished 5th at the national championships.
- The Thunderbirds are currently ranked #5 in the USPORTS Top Ten
Overall Head to Head (UBCO v UBC) (0W-5L-1T, 0-1 PS)
After four straight losses to their sister school the Heat played to a draw last fall at home to the 'Birds.
Scouting the Vikes
- UVIC opened their season this past Friday with a 5-1 home loss against Trinity Western and followed that up with a 2-2 tie with the Visiting UFV Cascades on Saturday
- This is the second consecutive season that the Heat and Vikes will do battle on UBCO's opening weekend. Last season the home team prevailed 1-0.
- The Heat also won the second meeting of the season 3-2 in Victoria, a comeback win that propelled UBCO into the postseason.
Overall Head to Head (UBCO v VIC) (2W-1L-3T)
The last two times out the Heat topped the team from the Island.