Fourth-year management student, Nik Federko, blazed the course in Surrey, BC shooting a -6 (66) at the Northview Golf and Country Club to win his first tournament in the UBCO blue. Immaculata High's Federko was sublime on Thursday, finishing with eight birdies and just two bogies en route to the lowest score posted in the provincial series.
Federko wasn't alone bringing the team tile to UBCO in tournament No. 4. Teammates, Justin Towill (-1, 71, T4), Marcus Apchin (E, 72, T6), Ethan Hunt (E, 72, T6) all finished in the top-6. Braeden Cooper, in his first action ever for UBCO, finished tied 16th firing a +3 (75).
Men's golf highlights
- The Heat men, like the women at tournament No. 4, captured their first tournament win, on Thursday in Surrey at the Northview Golf and Country Club. UBCO as a team finished seven-under (281) took the team title by three strokes over UFV (-4, 284), while the T-Birds finished third (+1, 289).
- In event No. 3 on Wednesday at the Sandpiper Golf Course in Harrison Mills, BC, The Heat (+19, 307) finished third, 13-back of the Cascades (+6, 294) but just 2-strokes behind the Thunderbirds (+17, 305) for second.
- For the series, after four events the UBCO men are in third with six points. The Cascades lead the series with 10 points, the Thunderbirds have (8).
- Federko's 66 is his best score as Heat golfer since fellow Immaculata grad, James Casorso, shot a 65 at Bear Mountain in the fall of 2015. Federko has the highest UBCO point total in the OOM standings with 216.5 points, good for sixth overall. On Wednesday he finished tied for 11th with a (77).
- Justin Towill has 213.3 points for the race to the Order of Merit, second-most for UBCO and seventh overall. Towill shot a (77) on the track at Sandpiper, tied with Federko in eleventh on the leaderboard. He shot a 1-under (71) in Surrey to tie for fourth place.
- Marcus Apchin was the top UBCO finisher on the Sandpiper course, tying for fourth with a (75) in the third tournament. With an even-par (72), Apchin was a part of a six-way tie in the sixth spot on the leaderboard on Thursday at the Northview Golf and Country Club. Apchin has 148.5 points towards the OOM.
- The lefty-swinging Ethan Hunt, hit a +6 (78) and then rebounded with an even-par (72) on Thursday in Surrey. Another Immaculata grad, Hunt has 191.25 OOM points.
- Braeden Cooper, a Vernon Secondary grad, showed well in his first university golf action. After finishing with an (83) on Wednesday, Cooper improved by 8-strokes to shoot a (75) on Thursday. With just two tournaments under his belt, he has 34 points towards the Order of Merit.
The same three teams continue the BC Rivalry Series next Wednesday and Thursday. On October 21, they're back at Northview to play the Ridge course, the next day, the sixth event will be held at Mayfair Lakes in Richmond.