The Heat golf teams' teed up their new-look BC only competition this past weekend as the BC Rivalry Series opened play this weekend in Kelowna.
The Heat women placed second and the men third both days. Individually, Sunday was the best day for UBCO at the tournament on the Bear Course of the Okanagan Golf Club. Kayleigh Trowman finished with the low score for the women while Justin Towill tied atop the leaderboard on Day-2.
Men's golf highlights
- The three men's team were within 9-strokes of each other on Saturday and 11 on Sunday with the top-two spots flip-flopping on the weekend.
- On Saturday, the Heat (299) trailed the front running T-Birds by 9-strokes. UBC's team score of 2-over-par (290) was six shots better than Fraser Valley's (296). Ethan de Graaf birdied seven holes en route to a 4-under 68 to top the leaderboard in the opening event of the season.
- The Heat shot +13 (301) while the Cascades won on Sunday with a team score of (290) and the Thunderbirds rolled in with a (298). UBCO's Justin Towill, along with Kyle Claggett and Eli Greene, both from UFV, led the way, with matching rounds of even-par 72.
- On Saturday it was a pair of lefties leading the way for UBCO. Brandon Frechette and Ethan Hunt were both 1-over on Saturday, holding down fourth place.
- Another lefty, Justin Towill, led the way for UBCO on Sunday shooting an even-par (72). Which placed him in a three-way tie for first overall. Towill was rolling on the front nine posting a 3-under (33) before the turn that included four his 5-birdies on the day. Towill, in his first action for the Heat, started slow on Saturday but with a pair of birdies on the back-nine, including one on 18, he ended the day firing a (78).
- Frechette's Saturday saw the first-year golfer hit 3-birdies for his (73). A rough stretch on Sunday saw the product of Lake Country's score balloon to (83).
- Ethan Hunt was around par both days, never more than 2-over, on either the front or back nine. He ended up shooting (73) on both days.
- Nik Federko was brilliant both days around the turn. On Saturday he birdied holes 5, 7, 8, 10 as he finished with a +3 (75). On Sunday, he owned those holes again birding 6, 7, 8 on his way to a +5 (77).
- The lone righty on the UBCO squad, Marcus Apchin, finished with an (80) on Saturday. He improved on Sunday, shooting (77).
- The OOM points for the Heat men are: Towill (119.3), Hunt (112.5), Frechette (87), Federko (77.5), and Apchin (51).