- Assistant Coach
- 1 (Started in 2018-19)
Ken Olynyk served one year as the interim head coach of the UBC Okanagan Heat men's basketball team. At the helm, Olynyk nearly led the squad to their first-ever Canada West playoff berth in the 2018-19 season, finishing the year with a 7-13 record. He will stay on as a part-time assistant for the 2019-20 season.
Olynyk, originally from Revelstoke, B.C., starred in volleyball and basketball as a high school student-athlete, before studying at Simon Fraser where he played four years of college basketball. He then played a fifth in Sudbury at Laurentian University under the tutelage of one of Canada’s most successful coaches, Ken Shields.
From Laurentian, Olynyk’s coaching career really started to take shape. He spent 10 years through the 1980s producing great teams at Lethbridge, and then over the next 14 seasons, he served as the head coach of the University of Toronto’s Varsity Blues. In-between, he coached nationally in international competitions including the Canadian junior men’s national basketball team from 1983 to 1996. In Toronto, Olynyk also spent one season in the NBA (2002-03) as an observer coach with the Toronto Raptors and head coach Lenny Wilkens.
Olynyk arrived at Kamloops in 2003 where he led the transformation of the University College of the Cariboo athletic program into the Thompson Rivers University Wolfpack that now competes in Canada West and U SPORTS. His tenure at TRU as AD was a period of tremendous change and growth, with support for student-athletes at the top of that list for Ken.
Olynyk is still very visible in Okanagan basketball, and basketball nationwide. He is the chair and organizer for the Canada Basketball U15 and U17 national championships that are scheduled for Kamloops this Aug. 6-11. Olynyk is also a director for the OLYNYK KLYNYK in Kamloops, a highly sought-after basketball camp now in its sixth year, that features his son Kelly, an NBA star for the Miami Heat, and other professional players and staff.
- 2005-06 | Head Coach, TRU Women’s basketball team, inaugural CIS season
- 1989 -2003 | Head Men’s Basketball Coach, University of Toronto
- 2002-03 | Observing Coach – Toronto Raptors, NBA
- 1996 | Head Coach, Canada's Under 22 National Team, COPABA Championships
- 1994 | Assistant Coach - World Championships: Toronto, Canada
- 1989-91 | Head Coach, Canada's Junior Men's National Basketball Team
- 1988 | Head Coach, Canada's Men's National Select Basketball Team
- 1987 | Head Coach, Canada's Junior Men's National Team
- 1983 | Assistant Coach and Manager, Canada's Junior Men's National Team
- 1981 | Head Coach Alberta, Canada Summer Games [bronze medal]
- 1979‑89 | Head Basketball Coach ‑ The University of Lethbridge
- 1977‑78 | Head Coach, Sands Junior Secondary School [Delta and District Champions]
- 1976‑77 | Head Coach, John Oliver High School [Vancouver and District Juvenile Champions]
- 1975‑76 | Assistant Coach, Simon Fraser University
- 2012 and 2013 | Coach Provincial Champions, South Kamloops Sr Girls AAA
- 1996 | OUA East "Coach of the Year" “CIAU "Coach of the Year"
- 1995 | OUA East "Coach of the Year"
- 1988‑89 | Recipient of Petro Canada Olympic Coaching Award
- 1985 | CWUAA "Coach of the Year"
- 1983 | Recipient of Labatt's Olympic Coaches Award
- 1970 | British Columbia High School Athlete of the Year
- 1969 and 70 | Athlete of the Year, Revelstoke High School