What you need to know
- The Heat men will hit the road this weekend when they play two games in Calgary against the Mount Royal Cougars on Friday and Saturday night.
- This is the first of two straight weekends on the road as they travel to Kamloops to play Thompson Rivers next weekend.
- With four victories in their first six conference games, this is the best start in men's basketball history since the 2011-12 season when they joined Canada West
GAME TIMES (PT)
FRIDAY, NOV 16th
Basketball (M) / Canada West Conference Game
7 PM PST | UBC Okanagan Heat (4-2) at the Mount Royal Cougars (3-3) | Webcast | Live Stats | Tickets
@ Kenyon Court, Mount Royal Athletic Centre, Calgary, AB.
SATURDAY, NOV 17th
Record breaking start:
- Although the Heat fell last weekend in both games against the powerful Lethbridge Pronghorns, this continues the programs best start in their Canada West history with four victories in the first six games of the season.
- The Heat continue to chase their all-time wins record in a season which is eight dating back to the 2015-16 season.
- Junior Triston Matthews has continued his strong play in recent games as he has recorded at least 12 points in every game so far this season. Last time out against Lethbridge the small forward would score 28 points including 19 in the first half.
- Swing man Philip Okanlawon has been extremely potent from deep so far this season as the second year guard is shooting a team-best 47.4% from behind the arc which has led him to scoring over 20 points on two occasions already this season.
Head to head with Mount Royal: (4-10)
- These two teams did not meet up last season but did in the fall of 2016 when the Cougars captured both games in Kelowna by 93-74 and 97-68 scorelines.
Scouting the Cougars
- After losing their opening two games of the conference season, Mount Royal has won three of their last four contests including the last two against Trinity Western on the road last weekend.
- The weekend prior they split the weekend series with the Manitoba Bisons in Winnipeg which included a 96 point offensive outburst in the opening matchup.
- After four straight road games the Cougars will now have four consecutive home matchups starting this weekend with UBCO.
Players to watch:
- Forward LJ Hegwood comes into the weekend matchup averaging 17.2 points a contest to lead the Cougars attack on the offensive end as he is shooting 50% from the field so far this year.
- Senior guard Glen Yang is the other main scoring option for Mount Royal averaging 17 points a contest including two 20 point games so far this season.
- Patrick Vandervelden / F / 4 / Abbotsford, BC / Trinity Western University
- Samuel Willis III / G / 4 / Minneapolis, MN / Olds College
- Pelumi Ajayi / F / 1 / Calgary, AB / Sir Winston Churchill HS
- Moreau Amadou / F / 1 / Calgary, AB / Sir Winston Churchill HS