Calgary, AB - Unable to get stops on the defensive end, the UBC Okanagan men's basketball team would fall on Friday night to the U SPORTS No. 4 ranked Calgary Dinos by a final score of 101-56.
At the Jack Simpson Gymnasium on the University of Calgary campus it is always a tough task to best the now, with the Friday night win over UBCO, (12-3) Dinos. The task proved to be even more then they expected as Calgary started off hot and would light up the scoreboard all night en route to a 58 point first half and 100 point evening.
With the loss, the Heat fall to 2-13 on the season and will be hard when they face off again on Saturday night with tip-off set for 6 p.m. PST in Calgary.
Calgary got off to a flying start on home court as they got an opening three-pointer and Mambi Diawara got a steal on the following play and threw down a dunk for the home team. Spencer Thomas would make a layup late in the first quarter which would cut the home team's lead to 31-18, UBC Okanagan shot over 58% from the field in the first quarter (7 of 12) including four three's but the Dinos would make six three's of their own on just 10 attempts.
The difference in the first 10 minutes was the fact the Heat had seven turnovers compared to just one for Calgary.
This 13 point Dinos lead would be expanded on by the home team in the second frame as the Heat scored just two points in the first five minutes of the second quarter while they were unable to stop the potent Dinos offense and with the score 42-20 the Heat were forced to take a timeout. The drought on offense would not end for UBCO as they would not score another point until just over a minute before halftime.
Aldrich Berrios would lead the way for the Heat with seven points at halftime, while Triston Matthews had six points of his own. Calgary was led by Lucas Mannes who had 13 points through the first 20 minutes.
The third quarter would be much closer then the first two, as the Dinos would extend their lead by just points, outscoring the Heat 18-16 in the third frame. Guard Spencer Thomas would lead the visitors with six points in the third frame.
It would have taken a monumental fourth quarter for a Heat comeback as they trailed 76-40. With both teams rolling through their lineups the fourth quarter would be a much slower pace for both teams on the offensive end.
- The Dinos stuffed the stat sheet all night on tune to 51% shooting from the field compared to just 41% for the Heat.
- UBCO struggled with turnovers throughout, finishing with 26 on the night, while the Dinos had just 10. These 26 turnovers for the Heat resulted in 35 points for Calgary.
- The Dinos bench outscored the Heat 62-16, with Sasha Pojuzina, Andrew Milner, and Mason Foreman connecting at an efficient 63% from the field.
- Aldrich Berrios led the way for the Heat, as he had 16 points on the night including a perfect four-of-four from the charity stripe.
- Second year guard Triston Matthews had 15 points of his own along with five rebounds.
- Five different Dinos scored in double figures, led by Mason Foreman off the bench who had a game-high 18 points and Lucas Mannes who finished with 15 points on six field goal attempts
- UBC Okanagan continue to play without Owen Keyes, Ben Kornelsen, Cam Servatius, and Aloysius Callaghan. Injuries and international opportunites have removed those four from the lineup for UBC Okanagan.
~ Oliver Rizun, Heat sports information